KAutoStart

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat Mar 4 21:12:14 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 21:02, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> on the xdg list there's been some discussion with issues surrounding
> autostart mechanisms.
>
> security issues related to apps being allowed to simply write into the
> autostart/ directory were raised on the one hand, and cross-desktop issues
> were raised on the other.
>
> it was suggested by thiago that in kde we should move away from
> X-KDE-autostart-condition since it's KDE specific and doesn't work very
> well in a not-all-KDE world. instead applications should simply add a
> .desktop file to the user's autostart directory with Hidden=true or
> Hidden=false
>
> to ensure that the latter happens i suggested we provide a utility class
> that app developers can use easily to set autostart on/off. this has the
> happy side effect of future proofing how this is handled by apps in case
> the methods used to accomplish this change, such as the addition of a
> command line tool to add/remove autostart .desktop files for security
> reasons or if we move away from .desktop files for this (though that's
> unlikely?)
>
> attached is an API for such a class for review. if it is accepted i'd like
> to add this for KDE4 as one of the "KDE component" classes rather than add
> it to kdecore and then later move it.

 The class seems like an overkill to me, I don't see any point in having API
that directly maps to the .desktop file. What's wrong with
"KAutoStart::enable( bool )" ? It does everything you need and it knows
everything it needs to know (and in the hypothetical case that ksmserver one
day gets support for RestartAnyway it'd also allow simple switching to that -
it's rather interesting how often people try to come up with a new solution
for a problem that's been more or less solved already).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org