KIOSK settings

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 10:41:53 GMT 2006

Hi,

(I'm posting just because there was another thread about kconfig).
 Is there any work planned on KIOSK support for KDE 4? Recently I used
KIOSK a lot, and altough it is good, it has some problems. For example
some applications seem to ignore the settings in a kiosk profile. As I
understood, in theory every application using KConfig should be able to
deal with invariant sections of the config file.

  My question is if this is true now, and if not, what should be done
to:
- make it true
- fix the existing applications

So shortly: kiosk should be transparent and should not require any
action from the application developer.

Regarding kiosk I also have another problem: in some cases it is
desirable to have global, but changeable configuration for a group of
users (not global defaults for every user, but based on the group they
are in).
 As I saw this is not possible now, but maybe I'm wrong and it is just
the same bug as above that some applications just ignore the settings
in a profile.

Andras