KDE4 Libs components

Gary Greene greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Fri Mar 3 22:31:47 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 05:11 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Jeudi 2 Mars 2006 21:05, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > hi all...
> >
> > whipping up KAutoStart reminded me of something most of you will probably
> > remember this from akademy 2k5:
> >
> > 	http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/15
> >
> > has anyone put any thought to what the layout of the "Libs-Components"
> > part may look like?
> >
> > if yes, what are your thoughts?
> > if no, then when can we start discussing this? or rather, can we start
> > discussing this now?
> >
> > i suppose we would aim to work towards a proposal (or set of proposals)
> > to hand over to the TWG to sort out?
>
> Maybe it's a bit late, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.
>
> I fail to see the real interest of separating 'components' and 'framework'
> in two different library.
> Anyway, i see potential problems: we are limiting ourself.
>
> If later we want to modify a class to make it depends of another, we can't
> anymore.
> (this may happen if we add a global configuration key that change the
> behaviour of a class in the 'components' library.  Or simply if we want to
> share some duplicate code that may appears later)
> We can't move a class to another library after the release or it will break
> the binary compatibility.
>
> On the other side, if someone want to use a class from 'components' in his
> Qt application, ha can take it no matter in which library the class is.
>
> --
> Olivier

The main reason for splitting them into different libraries is that then a Qt
app developer who wants to use a feature isn't tied to the extra stuff in
kdelibs, since it's pure qt and c++ in these "foundation" libraries. Yes,
there may rise a case where we want to extend a class that has dependencies
on both core and foundation, but that just means that we have to engineer and
plan better is all. I for one will be happy to see this split done as apps
then can be purely qt if they wish and take advantage of some of the
foundation classes without pulling in all of kdelibs, thus keepingthe
footprint of an app down.