debug libs (Re: KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Mar 1 17:42:56 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 09:09, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 20:37, David Faure wrote:
> > Imagine: kword crashes in KActionMenu; if my kdelibs wasn't compiled
> > with debug I would reconfigure it with debug and recompile it. But
> > this doesn't help since kword is still linking to kdecore instead of
> > kdecore_debug, so now I need to recompile koffice as well?
>
> Yes, this would be bad. Easy switching to debug builds is useful also
> for the users. For example by default SUSE installs release builds, but
> if you have problems, like crashes, you can install the debug builds
> over the release ones and you don't have to do anything else with the
> rest of your system (you can just have a debug kdelibs or a debug
> application). By having different libraries, this would be more
> complicated as you have to install the debug libraries (and the debug
> version of their dependencies) and the debug version of the
> applications as well (in worst case the whole KDE).

How do we want to deal with the Qt release and debug libs ?
I planned to link the Qt debug libs when doing a debug build, and to the
release libs when doing a !debug build. If not both are available, link to
the version which is available.

I think this would also mean that when replacing release libkdecore.so with
debug libkdecore.so, that then also libQtCore_debug.so has to be available.
I'm not sure what happens if you would then use a debug libkdecore.so and a
release libkdeui.so where one links to libQtCore_debug.so and the other one
to libQtCore.so...

This might lead to trouble.

What do you suggest ?

Bye