aKademy 2006 - we want your papers.

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jun 27 07:50:48 BST 2006

Le Dimanche 25 Juin 2006 19:57, Thomas Zander a écrit :
> Simple question: who wants a BoF[1] on;

Personally I'm more looking after talks for now (since the CfP deadline is
really soon now). ;-)

That said, BoF are welcome for the following coding marathon. As BoF they'll
surely be scheduled in a more flexible fashion and can be decided later in
the process.

> * Writing a unit test using mock objects
> * Practical Test Driven Development

I think that merging both points can lead to a really decent talk. It would
give a good overview on Test Driven Development and surrounding technics. I
definitely vote for it! :-)

> * MVC and other patterns; how to code effective and fast UIs

Well, maybe that's just me but I'm not sure people would like a talk on this.
Isn't it a well known topic? I might be biased here and too much optimistic.

That said something explaining how it's used in Qt4, and providing good
practices for Qt4+MVC pattern might be useful.

> * The art of profiling

Might be a good BoF, no idea how it would give as a talk.

> * Popular project anti patterns; how to make your projects fail

I personally like this one. =)

> * Case study; user based GUI design.  KOffice startup dialog.

Maybe not enough material for a talk? Might qualify as a BoF indeed...
something much more interactive.

> * Whats so useful in distributed source-repository systems. (Darcs et all)

For this one it would really depend on how it's done. I think that something
that would only present the qualities of such tools will be boring. A talk
also addressing their weaknesses and where you'd better not use them would be
more insightful (even if maybe more controversial).

That was my 0.02€.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."