0 or 0L for empty pointers?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jun 25 00:30:48 BST 2006

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>On Friday 23 June 2006 18:17, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
>> On Friday 23 June 2006 17:20, André Wöbbeking wrote:
>> > Any numbers on this especially with recent compilers?
>>
>> Apple claimed to gain 20% smaller binary and 5-10% speed-up by
>> disabling it in KHTML. This was half a year ago, and they are using
>> their Apple's branch of gcc.
>
> That seems very unlikely. Are you sure you're not confusing it with
>exceptions? RTTI should involve next to zero runtime overhead when not
> used and as it's just little data per class 20% size seems way over the
> top.

Technically, disabling RTTI disables exceptions, since exceptions require
RTTI to catch properly. So, you get the benefits of -fno-exceptions here.

A 20% decrease in binary size is possible for the removal of exceptions
and RTTI. Speed improvements? Only if you were using gcc 2.95, which we
don't support anymore.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech ASA
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway