aKademy 2006 - we want your papers.

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Jun 20 10:59:18 BST 2006

[[ As a sample, this is my own talk proposal, of a technical nature. I've
copied the abstract from my desktopcon submission, though the talk will of
course be different (because it's two months later than DDC, so the EBN will
have advanced by then). ]]

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 11:47, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> Go ahead and write to akademy-talks-2006 at kde.org, we want you there!

For the past year or more I have run the "EnglishBreakfastNetwork", an
oddly-named machine that applies some kinds of automatic checking to the KDE
codebase; the machine applies tools, counts up errors and presents both
summary information and detailed logs to developers in a dashboard-style
interface. The checking that is done is of a fairly basic nature: API
documentation and user documentation is checked for syntax and completeness;
basic coding style and code licensing is monitored as well. Plans exist for
more checks: a build bot, static checking, UI testing to start with. The
challenge of the EBN is to develop the checks or integrate existing Free
Software checking tools to get the numbers on the issues in the codebase.
Once we have the numbers, a new challenge presents itself: how to present the
numbers in a fashion so that developers can do something with the numbers. In
the end the idea is to make the numbers go down and the quality of the
codebase go up. I will present the design and implementation of the EBN; I
would like the audience to help out with new checks and new presentation
forms to improve the efficacy of the system.