cmake

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 20:40:27 BST 2006

At 03:26 PM 6/8/2006, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>I may be expressing myself badly: I need my makefiles optimized for the
>situation where I work on a library deep into the hierarchy and get it
>compiled and installed as fast as possible. And I don't want to run cmake for
>every library in KOffice, that would be an incredible burden.

OK, if you build a library deep into the hierarchy and it depends on very little,
then things should be fast.

For example, if you have a library called small, the
following command should be fast:

make small  // from the top level

or

cd ../../small
make // in the sub-directory

It will only try to build the libraries that are linked to library.
It will not check every library in KOffice.   The make install will
check all the libraries in KOffice right now.   But, the new install/fast
should get around that.

The only time cmake will run is if a CMakeLists.txt file changes, i.e you
added a new source file.   But I do not think that is what you are talking about.

To go faster than above, with no depend checks, you can do:
make small/fast  // from the top directory only in 2.4.2

-Bill