cmake

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 20:31:57 BST 2006

At 03:10 PM 6/8/2006, Thomas Zander wrote:
>On Thursday 8 June 2006 20:38, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>> >That you don't see that as a problem only means that you misunderstood
>> > the requirements KDE developers[1] have of their buildsystem.
>
>> I don't think this is a design flaw.   Building targets without doing
>> the extra depend steps is there now with target/fast from the top-level
>> of the tree.
>
>Lets not use 'design flaw' then.  I'd say that the solution doesn't fit
>the problem.
>
>The /fast workarounds are interresting.

Can we drop "workaround" as well?  :)

There are certainly cases where you want to build just one target,
and also cases where you want to build a target and everything that depends on it.
The IDE build systems like visual studio and Xcode provide for this.
You can right click on a target and either build it and its depends, or just
build that target alone.   The question is what is the default behavior.  In the
IDE world, the default is safe but slow, build every thing that a target depends on,
and make sure all depends are up-to-date.   That is the approach we are taking with
cmake.   However, in a sub-directory, one might argue that the default target should
be the /fast version, and there could be a /safe version.

-Bill