[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Jun 4 10:45:19 BST 2006

On Friday, 2. June 2006 03:49, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> Saying that all icons should look the same is simply crap and detracts from
> the value the artist creates when making a theme...indeed, it kills the
> idea of having a "theme" at all.
>
> So the next sentence solves any problems with this poorly stated sentence
> by stating "But if you don't have any neutral icon, please install whatever
> icon you have in the hicolor theme so that all applications get at least
> some icon in all themes."
>
> So what it comes down to is installing our app icons in hicolor.
>
> At this time, this would mean moving all crystal app icons into hicolor
> since that is our default theme. Adding whatever differently styled icons
> to complete the set of kde app icons is not understandable since it would
> ruin the look of kde itself and its apps running in other desktops.

So, if I got this correctly, the question comes down to
"Do we want Crystal icons or JRT's 'hicolor' icons to be installed into
the 'hicolor' theme folder and act as a fallback for other themes?"

The artists' position is that there can be no "neutral" icons, and therefore
it doesn't matter if we fall back to Crystal or "hicolor", because both of
them have their own distinct style. And as Crystal is KDE's default, we
should rather fall back to Crystal.

JRT's position is that the previous "hicolor" icons fit better into other icon
sets and should therefore be regarded as more "neutral" than Crystal, and
should therefore be chosen as fallback.

That's the question, right?

Regards,
  Jakob