Feature idea/request for KDE4: checkpointing

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sun Jul 30 17:38:43 BST 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 16:02, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Sunday 30 July 2006 13:21, Richard Moore wrote:
> > On 7/28/06, Kasper Sandberg <redeeman at metanurb.dk> wrote:
> > > I stumbled across http://cryopid.berlios.de/ and tested it. It worked
> > > with nano, however not with kde applications. Though it left me
> > > thinking that this indeed is a cool concept, and that it could be used
> > > as a very neat feature on the desktop.

> > and has a large
> > number of restrictions on what an application can be doing.
>
> Yes, it's still under development.

 It has nothing to do being under development, it's about being next to
impossible. I see absolutely no reasonable way this could even work with KDE
apps. Snapshotting a process state may work for something as simple as a
console text editor, but not for complex applications that partially have
their state kept off-process (e.g. X pixmaps as Rich points out, dcop/dbus
connection or generally anything that is not a stateless machine and keeps
any data outside of the process).

> > It's a nice idea, but I think this sort of
> > facility is better built at an application level rather than into the
> > framework - think autosave and session management rather than process
> > freezing.

 Correct.

> Process freezing (and de-frosting) is something entirely different
> from auto-save or session management, and also has different use
> cases and benefits (if it works).

 But it doesn't work and so that's the biggest difference.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org