Feature idea/request for KDE4: checkpointing

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Jul 30 15:02:29 BST 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 13:21, Richard Moore wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Kasper Sandberg <redeeman at metanurb.dk> wrote:
> > I stumbled across http://cryopid.berlios.de/ and tested it. It worked
> > with nano, however not with kde applications. Though it left me thinking
> > that this indeed is a cool concept, and that it could be used as a very
> > neat feature on the desktop.

I've had a look at it as well (quite some time ago) because NX/FreeNX
could make interesting uses of its functions.

> This tool doesn't seem to be maintained any more

Not quite true:
https://bat.berlios.de/pipermail/cryopid-devel/2006-June/000149.html

> and has a large
> number of restrictions on what an application can be doing.

Yes, it's still under development.

> I am also
> highly dubious about its ability to handle resources in the X server
> like pixmaps etc.

Same.

> The application is also linux only which reduces
> it's use to KDE further.

That's true. It could only benefit KDE on Linux.

> It's a nice idea, but I think this sort of
> facility is better built at an application level rather than into the
> framework - think autosave and session management rather than process
> freezing.

Process freezing (and de-frosting) is something entirely different
from auto-save or session management, and also has different use
cases and benefits (if it works).

> Cheers
> Rich.

Cheers,