Eigen, a shared linear algebra library for KDE apps

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jul 27 17:48:39 BST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:38, Casper Boemann wrote:
> The developers of Kalzium, Kreative3D, KChart and Marble have a common
> need for a simple linear algebra library. We had a lengthy IRC
> discussion and searched existing libraries, but they are usually big,
> non C++ etc, and having big dependencies makes us afraid of being
> excluded from some distros.

A way to get around the problem of that dependency is to download the
stable version of the package and put it in your tarball as '3rd party
libs' with a configure option like Qt has to either use the system or the
shipped one.
This way the packager can decide which one to take.
Note, btw, from my carefull wording above that I do *not* suggest to have
the external software in your source repository!

I'm sure that that will lead to less work in the end.
--
Thomas Zander