kdelibs coding style

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Mon Jul 24 22:31:04 BST 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 06:19, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Or: Why did you sent your email to a mailing list if you are not
> interested in the answers? Strange attitude IMHO. What would you
> think if person X sends a proposal here and shows no interest to your
> position if it does not fit into her wants?

Hmm, it's really unfortunate I have to be explaining this but the way
discussions work is that when you ask a question, like in this case I
wanted to hear opinion about accepting coding style for kdelibs, you
would like to hear answers to that question, right? Not complains about
wording or style that obviously can't be solved; not at this stage
anyway.

The way you reach any kind of census in large groups is going step by
step and we have to learn to do that. Stay on topic and follow
discussion. Don't hijack my threads leading away from the main point.
Lets agree on the basis before venturing into topics that are obviously
going to be a lot more controversial.
Otherwise like I said above, if you don't have the courtesy to respect
my time and stay on topic, do not expect me to read carefully your
emails.

> So please get one other thing clear: There were some emails
> suggesting discussing the style to pick (or if at all). With serious
> thoughts. Thoughts that would like to be answered. And also were by
> serious defenders of the proposal.

Just to make it very clear, I put a lot of thought into my grocery list
but I don't post it in response to your commit messages, do I? There's
a place and time to post them, the bottom line here is to have respect
for everyone's time and stay on topic (especially if they're pretty
simple) instead of raising prematurely and unnecessarily hell.

The rest of your email is based on a horrible fallacy so let me respond
to that:

> Never going to happen? So how did it come any decisions were ever
> made?

They haven't. "We" haven't reached decisions, what is happening time and
time again is that a handful of strong individuals goes and does it.

> Like when to switch to KDE4?

Census in a decision never happened.

> To make no further KDE3.6 release?

Census never happened.

> Which build system to choose?

Census never happened.

> Repository software?

Census never happened.

> Etc.?

They never really did. In each one of them there was at least a few
people voicing usually rather silly objections. A few reasonable
individuals just went ahead and did it. There never was a census.

> piss off that many people, because they were heard and had a chance
> to influence. And usually accepted if they could not pursue enough
> others (or those executing ;). At least in my perception.

See and here you get it. So what you're saying is that if developer A
and B go ahead and mass reindent kdelibs, that's OK because people had
the chance to complain a bit, right?  Again, that's very sad,
unfortunately, like I said, if we'll ever going to agree on anything we
have to learn how stay on topic and answer questions.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.