tab stop size

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 24 20:50:34 BST 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 13:18, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. Juli 2006 12:08 schrieb David Jarvie:
> > I think that more important in kdelibs is to abolish tabs altogether in
> > favour of spaces, as is proposed in the coding style policy. There will
> > always be people (particularly people new to KDE who are only browsing)
> > who have their tab stops set differently from whatever is ordained for
>
> Yep, that's not disputable, as the Qt-style policy mandates to use spaces
> for indentation, explicitly no tabs. However, it does *not* specify whether
> tabs should be abolished. Therefore, I propose that the tab spacing is set
> to 8, because that's the standard. It wouldn't be too troublesome for weird
> tab spacing using users to look into kdelibs code because indenting would,
> by definition, not be affected.

not sure i understand. you want tab spacing to be set to 8 even though the
indent is with 4 spaces? wouldn't that just make files look -really- odd when
there are tabs from old indenting and new 4-space indents? doesn't make much
sense from where i stand.

if anything, the tab spacing for reading kdelibs should be set to 4 so new
indents work with old tabs. even more sensible would be to just not address
the issue at all in the spec since going forward we aren't using tabs anyways
(so set them to whatever you'd like because you won't be using them ;) and
that means one less issue to bikeshed over to get this common style thing in
place. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness