kdelibs coding style

Clarence Dang dang at kde.org
Sun Jul 23 13:25:22 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 21:39, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> I really don't understand most of the discussion. Maksim says keramik
> source code is consistent, but doesn't that imply the contributors followed
> some policy that was made up by someone? So why do people think that
> creating a new policy for new files will be a problem to new contributors?
> It's beyond me.

I view kdelibs as a whole bunch of subprojects maintained by different people
(and some not maintained at all but anyway).  Each person/subproject has a
different view on style.  Hence, at first glance, it makes no sense to force
all subprojects to have the same style - just as you would not force all
applications to have the same style.  But after reading this email:

On Sunday 23 July 2006 18:59, mETz wrote:
> It makes perfect sense to unify kdelibs a bit because it is _THE_ shared
> part of KDE. Most people probably never looked at kview, juk or kmail but
> many many people did look at kdecore classes or even contributed a small
> patch.
[...]
> Usually application maintainers try to keep a certain style across their
> apps too, just see kdelibs as a huge application :)

If one views kdelibs this way, then I totally support the proposal.  In fact
mETz's email does convince me that this is the right thing to do now.