kdelibs coding style

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jul 23 11:25:24 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 10:59, mETz wrote:
> Btw, I did not hear any argument _against_ having curly braces on a
> line of their own yet except for "but we don't want to change this
> style, either all or nothing"... ;)

A possible argument against this is that with having curly braces not on
a line of their own the code is more compact vertically which means
less vertical screen estate is "wasted" and you can see a bit more code
without scrolling, e.g. compare

if ( a < b ) {
    do something
} else {
    do something else
}

with

if ( a < b )
{
    do something
}
else
{
    do something else
}

Moreover, curly braces on a line of their own do in fact distract me
more than they help me, but that's probably just because most of the
code I usually look at doesn't put them on a line of their own.

Regards,
Ingo