kdelibs coding style

Clarence Dang dang at kde.org
Sun Jul 23 05:01:55 BST 2006

On Thursday 01 January 1970 10:00, Zack Rusin wrote:
> proposal for a common coding style  in kdelibs.

I don't work on kdelibs but I do dislike the idea of forcing a common coding
style up people's throats.  Nevertheless, I'm not going to object since many
people seem happy about it.  Having said that, it's quite close to my style
anyway except for the braces.

But here is a few points I want to make:

1. This tramples on code that perhaps only 1 person maintains.  What benefit
is there in that other than pissing them off?  If consistent style across
files is so important, why stop at kdelibs?  Why not force the whole of KDE
to follow this new style?  Hell, why not force the Linux kernel to follow our
4-spaces tabs style as well? :)

Consistent style _inside_ a file is important but consistent style _across_
files even if you have nothing to do with them is contentious.

2. If people aren't respecting an existing file's style when editing the file,
what's the likelihood that they are going to follow a new, global one?  With
the current status quo, if you find a file with inconsistent style, feel free
to change it.  Same with the new scheme so I doubt it will work - I predict
no one will bother changing existing files.

3. Transparency

> please no adjustments. otherwise we'll discuss this till the cows come home
> as people try and adjust this or that citing past changes as precedent. =)

This is like saying:

"I am offering a totally open and transparent discussion.  However I refuse to
negotiate any part of my proposal"