kutils/KEdit

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jul 22 23:41:16 BST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 8:05, Jaison Lee wrote:
> On 7/21/06, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > (*) I think the last committers are more relevant than someone who hasn't
> > committed for 4+ years :)
>
> This is exactly my point. This is the most motivating thing.

i agree with what you're saying Jaison; and i think that these posts to
kde-core-devel (which should be CC'd to the authors if they aren't on the
list) is exactly such a call for maintainer input as well as input from the
rest of the project so that we get a full perspective. no one is trying to
shut out the maintainers; asking openly is looking for just that sort of
input.

removing things is always difficult and will always piss of someone[1], so
talking about removing things always feels very dangerous. and talking about
these "feels dangerous" topics so openly is largely a new thing for kde. new
things are even more unsettling. so i assume that's where a lot of the push
back on these things is coming from. but we'll find our ways together.

in this thread i actually don't really see any dissent, just lots of violent
agreement on a topic that's being expressed with various levels and kinds of
assumptions (e.g. that asking on the list equates to asking for author input)
and different perspectives ...

on topic ... i just tried both kwrite and kedit. kwrite does start up faster;
we need to work on these things. other than that, they are functionally
equivalent IMHO including things like soft autowrapping being on by default
in kwrite now.

[1] we have millions of users; the linux desktop as a whole is apparently
somewhere around 6% market share in north america right now(!). with those
sorts of numbers it's impossible to please all the people all the time.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness