kdelibs coding style

Maks Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 22 19:03:01 BST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 13:50, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Maks Orlovich wrote:
> >So the way to make it more official that this is everyone's code... is
> > to apply a policy decided on by a small subset of KDE contributors?
>
> No: it's to apply a policy decided by a large set of KDE contributors.

Well, thus far the number of known supporters seems to be miniscule compared
to a total body of KDE contributors.

> That's why the whole damn thing was posted to kde-core-devel for
> discussion in the first place.

The choice of the mailing list is poor then. kde-core-devel is, after all, a
restricted list, and many of our contributors likely do not have posting
rights on it. I know of at least one ocassion where a post on a contentious
topic to k-c-d has been blocked by thee moderator's perception of its
redundancy. This sort of decision is pretty reasonable in general, but it can
skew the perception of overall opinion on the matter.

> If we don't get a large set of KDE
> contributors backing this up, it won't go forward.
>
> I do think kdelibs would benefit from a common coding style. I'd even go
> for re-indenting everything in kdelibs.

Do you want me to go postal or something? ;-)