kdelibs coding style

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Jul 21 15:13:24 BST 2006

My impression is that in kdecore and kdeui, at least, there's no consistent
style and the proposed Qt style often comes closest to what is there already.

OTOH there's Phonon in kdelibs which is 100% consistent with tabs for indent,
no space after keywords, spaces inside parenthesis and opening braces always
after a newline. (Pretty much opposite to what the Qt style guide says).

I'm considering changing the style of Phonon in one go to the Qt style.
The "svn blame" loss won't be that bad because if you do a svn blame on
arbitrary Phonon code atm you'll only find mkretz to blame. :-)

If Phonon were not to be changed in one big commit I'd fight against commits
in a Qt coding style as that would make the code really ugly. I believe we
should identify libs that are consistent already and then document the coding
style accordingly. It would be best if editor support for all different
coding styles could be added so that the programmer doesn't really have to
think much about the coding style and just hack away...

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de