Re: kdelibs coding style

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Fri Jul 21 11:16:45 BST 2006

On Thursday 20 Jul 2006 22:13 , 'Jaison Lee' wrote:
>> > To make it clear, no mass reindenting would take place.. For already
>> > existing code the indention would be changed when a person would be
>> > editting it. ....
>>
>> This means that files that have a consistent style are now going to
>> have different styles. And that's exactly what you do not want.
>
>That's a very good point, however consistantly aligned files in
>kdelibs are hard to come by. :) I think the idea is a little
>short-term pain for long-term payoff.

My impression is that many files in kdelibs do have reasonably consistent styles. If people use a different style when editing them, this will result
in unnecessary mess and difficulty reading them. I think that the new style should only apply either to new files, to files which are being
substantially rewritten, or to files which already have no clear style. Otherwise, for small edits, the existing style of the file should be adhered
to. Surely there are many files which are unlikely to be changed substantially in the foreseeable future, and this would help to maintain
readability (unless a decision is taken to do a mass restyling).

--
David Jarvie.