New kdelibs policy starting monday

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Jul 16 10:30:50 BST 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 16 July 2006 10:56, Peter Kümmel wrote:
>> Stephan Kulow wrote:
>>> I have problems taking you serious as you didn't take part in the initial
>>> discussion when I proposed the policy.
>> Because my contributions to kde are so small I think I should not influence
>
> Well, you are one of only a handful of persons working on bringing KDE to
> windows.
>
>> such a important decisions, so I've not posted to this discussion.
>>
>> But it totally breaks my idea to introduce a template based pimpl
>> replacement.
>
> Why ?
> Adding some new class or template doesn't break source or binary compatibility
> (I think).
> And you can do it then class-by-class.
> Where do you think it can break things ?

The intended version is stricter on copying means it suppresses the automatic
generation of the copy constructor/assignment operator. So it could be
that some code does copying (as it was done in the remdirtest) which would not
compile with the new implementation. And it is very hard for me to fix all such
broken builds, even when I switch to Linux. But maybe a detailed documentation/
fix recipe could help a bit.

Peter