New kdelibs policy starting monday

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Jul 15 21:08:36 BST 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 14:00, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As there doesn't seem to be a real discussion going on anymore,
> > I declare the new trunk/KDE policy applying starting this monday.
> >
> > This means:
> >  - next monday we will erase kdelibs4_snapshot and from that time
> >     trunk/KDE/kdelibs is the kdelibs to compile against
> >  - all of trunk is supposed to compile at any time against that very
> >    kdelibs
> >  - Source and binary incompatible changes are only allowed on mondays
> >    (on every monday though) and porting efforts should be finished the
> >    same evening (that means every developer is allowed to start changing
> >    8am her timezone and has to make sure trunk is compiling till 10pm his
> >    timezone (being around in #kde4-devel and awaiting people complaining
> >    might be enough).
> > - Source incompatible changes shall be developed in an extra branch
> > before they hit trunk. As trunk is supposed to compile at any time, you
> > can branch off trunk and make your changes till your branch compiles
> > again.
> >
> > Now I hope we can get kdepim and kdewebdev to compile before monday,
> > otherwise this policy will be a bit complicated to enforce. And I hope
> > everyone makes sure we make this a dynamic process, i.e. update the
> > policy if it turns out it's imperfect.
> >
> > Greetings, Stephan
>
> Here my consequence:
>
> SVN commit 562605 by kuemmel:
>
> Don't add a macro when a real C++ (template) solution possible.
>
> Undo all pimpl changes. I'll also stop working on this because of
> the new kdelibs-commit-policy, which is like freezing kdelibs.
>
> Now I have to care about too much: branching, changing hole
> trunk, waiting for Monday - this is annoying even if it helps
> the application developers.

Come on, if you change something in a kdelibs header, almost everybody is
forced to recompile. This is even still allowed.
Only source and binary incompat. changes have to wait until monday.
Although I didn't follow the pimpl stuff very closely, isn't it something
which can be done class by class and if so it doesn't break stuff where it
hasn't been changed yet ?

Bye
Alex