New kdelibs policy starting monday

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sat Jul 15 12:01:28 BST 2006

Hi!

As there doesn't seem to be a real discussion going on anymore,
I declare the new trunk/KDE policy applying starting this monday.

This means:
 - next monday we will erase kdelibs4_snapshot and from that time
    trunk/KDE/kdelibs is the kdelibs to compile against
 - all of trunk is supposed to compile at any time against that very
   kdelibs
 - Source and binary incompatible changes are only allowed on mondays
   (on every monday though) and porting efforts should be finished the
   same evening (that means every developer is allowed to start changing
   8am her timezone and has to make sure trunk is compiling till 10pm his
   timezone (being around in #kde4-devel and awaiting people complaining
   might be enough).
- Source incompatible changes shall be developed in an extra branch before
   they hit trunk. As trunk is supposed to compile at any time, you can branch
   off trunk and make your changes till your branch compiles again.

Now I hope we can get kdepim and kdewebdev to compile before monday,
otherwise this policy will be a bit complicated to enforce. And I hope
everyone makes sure we make this a dynamic process, i.e. update the policy if
it turns out it's imperfect.

Greetings, Stephan