KGlobalAccel issues

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Sat Jul 15 00:49:51 BST 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 23:22, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  basically, I think I need an update on the plans WRT KGlobalAccel, because
> I finally got tired of not having keyboard shortcuts in KWin working and
> while fixing that I've run into various issues, generally described as "it
> doesn't work":
>
> - It doesn't work. Whoever ported the code consistently used
> KAction::setShortcut() instead of KAction::setGlobalShortcut(). I'll check
> all those set in KControl but if some of your shortcuts not configured
> there don't work check this.
>
> - It doesn't work. What's the point of KAction::setGlobalShortcutAllowed()?
> If a KAction has a global shortcut set, it wants to use it, so why does
> this flag exist at all?

I got some feedback when I was doing the development that even though all
actions can now have global shortcuts, it shouldn't mean we should allow the
user to assign one to whichever action they liked.  So I added this flag and
set it to false by default.  I guess setGlobalShortcut should automatically
enable the allowed flag.

> - It doesn't work. Hmm, ok, shortcuts with Alt fixed.
>
> - It finally works, but only if I use all kinds of funny shortcuts, because
> somebody changed all shortcuts to the 4-modifiers scheme by default.

Well, I guess that was because the separation in the code between 3 and 4
modifiers went away.

> What
> exactly is the plan with schemes here? If we default to 4-modifiers I
> expect many people won't be that happy for their shortcuts suddenly
> changing, people with only 3-modifier keyboards probably won't be that
> happy either. If I pass both variants to KAction::setGlobalShortcut() then
> both will be used if I'm getting it right, which is not desired either.

Well, with this being removed (I assume for a good reason), we'll need an
alternate way to do this now... perhaps apps could detect which shortcut
config is in use and adjust accordingly?

> - Some global shortcuts in KWin are of the form "do something with X",
> where X is a number in a range (like, "window to desktop 1" to "20").
> KDE3's KGlobalAccel allowed connecting a slot with int argument and passed
> that number to it, that doesn't work now. Should I just make separate
> slots? Not that I mind doing that, I just want to know.

I didn't realise that was possible.  It's not possible now, and I'd say that
creating separate actions for each action makes sense, unless there was a
compelling reason for readding this.

BTW, other my plan for KGlobalAccel is to move it out into a kded module which
communicates with apps via dbus.  This will help with centralising
configuration, be generally more efficient, and further eliminate the
requirement for KApplication.

Cheers,
Hamish.