Trolltech <-> KDE contact point for critical issues

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Fri Jul 14 12:47:06 BST 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 13:00, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le vendredi 14 juillet 2006 11:50, Simon Hausmann a écrit :
> > I agree that this would be a useful feature to have in Qt (especially if
> > you look at the numerous implementations in the Qt commandline tools ;-),
> > but I'm not convinced that this is a critical feature for KDE 4.0.
> > There's nothing fundamentally wrong with KCmdLineArgs and at this point
> > it is too late to add an entire new class to Qt 4.2.
> >
> > It is definitely something to consider for Qt 4.3.
>
> Then we will have that exact scenario:
> > On Thursday 13 July 2006 16:32, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if such a basic class pops
> > > into Qt later on, and then we'll have KCmdLineArgs and
> > > Qt's(duplication, things that doesn't work together, confusion, etc).

We have to draw a line somewhere and I believe with the current set of
features a stable and timely Qt 4.2 release is more important for KDE. We
have plenty of tasks to resolve for Qt 4.2 and we intend to focus on that.

A commandline argument parsing API is not very visible in everyday GUI
application development. It's usually used once in main.cpp, if at all.
That's why I don't think it is so important for now.

Simon