[RFC] Split tests and examples in KDE4

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Jul 12 12:03:35 BST 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 23:19, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 9. Juli 2006 14:16, schrieb Brad Hards:
> Yes. I see even more categories:
> 1. tests
>    1.1 automated tests
>        1.1.1 short running (< 1 s)
>        1.1.2 long running
>    1.2 manual tests

> IMHO for those of us who do test-driven programming if would be great if
> building would avoid everything except 1.1.1 if not explictly stated
> otherwise.
My preference would be to always build the tests, but not to include long
running tests (I would have said 10 seconds, rather than 1, but your machine
might be faster than mine :-) in the "make test" routine.

The build time presumably doesn't bear any relation to the run time, and the
compiler can save you from a lot of mistakes (at least, it often saves
me...). That assumes that developers split tests into separate test
applications though.

> For nightly builds then all of 1.1 could be done.
> 1.2, 2, and 3 would need explicit make calls.
Explicit calls to run the tests, not to build them.

> Packagers would like to build only 2.
>
> I think it would be great if (some of) the different options are all
> contained in the build makefiles (using targets), and not need their
> recreation everytime IIUC.
Maybe "make test" for the cheap tests, "make alltests" for cheap & expensive
tests, and manual invocation for any manual tests.

Brad