policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 18:40:32 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 18:47, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > What I'd like to see is a process where someone proposes a change,
> > announces it on kde-core mailing list, stating reasons for change,
> > alternatives to be used instead, and stating when the change will
> > occur.
>
> so instead of doing this in high-bandwidth face-to-face meetings like
> Trysil or in real time on irc you'd like this to be done one
> kde-core-devel where -everyone- can bikeshed to their hearts content? i
> think this is inserting bureaucracy at the wrong point in the timeline.
>
> earlier i suggest a reporting mechanism for API changes: an email to
> kde-core-devel with "[API] <classname>" as the title. would that work?

Discussing things on the lowest bandwidth possible (email) is _the_ way to
spread doubt and fear.  I've seen that in the very well meant emails on
'GUI frameworks' thread last week. (I felt doubt) The risk of
misunderstanding for people that look at the same technology from
different perspectives is near 100% via email.

If your suggestion is to work; it should be an announcement with a link to
the code for people to download and inspect while its being created. If
we don't request comments on new code to be well thought out and include
some background checking, then I'm afraid too many will just feel
frustrated about their fear of being ignored, only amplified by the lack
of understanding that email brings.

--
Thomas Zander