KDE Library Questions

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jul 8 08:33:55 BST 2006

Allen Winter wrote:
>I was wondering if there is a policy about where library foo's header
> files should be installed. $install_dir/include/foo?  or can they also
> go in $install_dir/include?

I'd like to see KDE libraries installing like Qt, but I don't think it'll
happen.

However, we should use the following method:
non-namespaced libraries	install in	$includedir
namespace KFOO		installs in	$includedir/kfoo

Since only kdecore and kdeui aren't namespaced, we get only their stuff in
$includedir, cluttering. The rest stays in neatly-organised subdirs.

>Seems that all the kdelibs libraries get installed at the include level,
> but I was planning on installing all the kdepimlibs libraries in
> include/foo.  is that ok?

Sure, since you need to have a namespace anyways for that library.

>Also, should we put the shared library revision number at 5.0.0 for all
> libraries in KDE4? I see shared libs with numbers 1.0.0, 2.0.0, 3.0.0,
> 4.0.0 and 5.00 from kdelibs. Is there a policy on shared library
> revision numbers?

Well, we should bump up all our main libraries' revision numbers to 5.0.0,
but I don't think we have to impose this rule to all libraries. The first
version of a library is 0.0.0. When it first breaks binary compatibility,
it gets bumped up. That's all.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358