modifier-only shortcuts

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Jul 7 09:12:49 BST 2006

On Friday 7 July 2006 00:38, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> You do realize that Ctrl+Alt+X (or any other latin1 character) doesn't
> work anymore as soon as you've switched to a keyboard layout that
> doesn't have the 'X' or has it on another key. Try setting the shortcut
> to Ctrl+Alt+Z (which is even more convenient than Ctrl+Alt+X IMO) and
> then switch between the German and the English keyboard layout. How
> usable is that?

Sorry, I was thinking Qt4 already; where the keyboard combination is
mapped to a key and not a glyph.
That solution is, naturally, the real solution to this mess and all
suggestions of modifier-only combinations are based on the lack of this
functionality not only on Qt3, but on a lot more systems.

Would it not be possible to add a post-switch-hook for kde 3.5.4 (will
there be such a thing?) that alters the keyboard shortcut after you
switch languages so the location of the key stays the same ?
This would be be in line with a better solution in KDE4.
--
Thomas Zander