modifier-only shortcuts

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Jul 7 04:29:12 BST 2006

> [: Thomas Zander :]
> It might not be a good idea to play on an assumption that the points
> raised are based on 'armchair whatever'. Things like that can backfire
> as soon as you learn that these points come from people that actually
> have professional experience in the usability field :-)

Sorry if it sounded harsh (though, more likely stupid :) It is not that I
believe it's all armchair thinking, on the contrary. But things can slip
in unusual cases, such as this one:

As soon as I saw comments, I thought "these guys never had a need for
heavy-duty layout-switching", and reacted. Looking closer now, I see that
people listed on KDE usability team are all
Western-European/North-American. Is it too much to extrapolate that their
field experience also includes WE/NA test users?

On the other hand, our Kxkb is maintained by Andriy Rusin, Gnome's switcher
and XKeyboardConfig by Sergey Udaltsov, and xkb module itself by Ivan
Pascal -- it's safe bet to say there is a lot of Vodka in keyboard layout
waters (a pun planned some time back :)

The point being clear, I hope.

> Calm down; nobody is saying the problem is not real, or should be
> ignored. Just that this one solution proposed here is in need of
> refinement.

Ok, calmed. Let's see:

Windows default is Alt+Shift.
Gnome default is Alt+Alt.
MacOSX default is Command+Space.

Now some genuinely armchair observations:

Alt+Shift is quite disruptive, must move whole left hand
Alt+Alt is better, only left and right thumb involved
Command+Space is even better, again both thumbs, but less precision needed

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)