kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Mon Jan 30 13:41:33 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 14:01, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > Since when is Eclipse a good C++ IDE?
> Since Eclipse 3.1 and CDT 3.0.
> > Ask Alex Dymo who has worked on both
> > improving Eclipse C++ support, and KDevelop - how came he isn't fazed by
> > Eclipse?
> May be he didn't try the latest version at the time, I don't know. I
> gave Eclipse/C++ a try a few months ago, and it was already *way* beyond
> kdevelop. If it weren't for the lack of KDE/Qt support, I'd have
> switched from XEmacs in a heartbeat.
I doubt you've thoroughly looked into KDevelop then. I've not only
used CDT3.0 and Eclipse 3.1 but looked into the source code ;)
Eclipse is neither that good for c++ development nor its internals
look well. Particularly the c++ parser in Eclipse is just a proof that
LL(k) c++ parser can be written by hands in java. KDevelop c++
parser parses more c++ code and does it much faster.
We certainly have better code completion. Try to make Eclipse
complete your Qt/KDE code ;)
All nifty refactoring features of java/eclipse are missing. KDevelop
creates members, makes classes, etc. much better.
Not to mention "makefile" based build system support in eclipse
which never works correctly.

PS: I spent two months improving Eclipse to make it good for
KDE/Qt development and I see that much more is necessary
to do before Eclipse will be good for C++. We can spent the same
effort on KDevelop and get better results.

PPS: From this thread one can make a conclusion that nothing happened
to KDevelop during last several years. This isn't true. The fact KDevelop
doesn't fit the developers workflow has nothing to do with the
lack of features. Contrary, we have tons of features and sometimes
very good internal implementation of those features.