Error with KPassivePopup and OS X compiles

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jan 30 14:36:11 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 14:54, Richard Moore wrote:
> On 1/30/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > > Knotify provides a tiny subset of what KPassivePopup can do. Apps
> > > already use this functionality including embedding arbitrary widgets
> > > and responding to user interaction. Moving it into knotify is not an
> > > option.
> >
> >  KNotify is supposed to be improved in KDE4 to include e.g. user
> > interaction. And what else is KPassivePopup good for other than
> > notifications?
>
> It is useful also useful when there is a non-urgent user decision from
> an application such as a tray item. For example an application like
> plasma could notice that new themes were available from GHNS an offer
> list which the user could choose from. If the user ignores it then it
> will go away as it wasn't that important.

 Isn't this perhaps a bit too much? How large will such passive popup be, with
a listview, quarter of a screen? That's hardly passive then. Or will it be a
really tiny listview barely showing something? A simple "new themes,
update/ignore?" that'd lead to showing a normal dialog would IMHO do much
better here.

> Other users could be
> applications like tenor which could show a popup indicating that they
> are about to index, but offering the user the chance to delay the
> process if they want to avoid the CPU hit at the current time.

 It seems to me just Yes/No/Later would again do just fine.

> Examples such as this are used heavily in the windows desktop (eg. the
> microsoft security thingy, dell's system monitor tool, many personal
> firewalls).

 So should we also copy the horribly inconsistent overloaded system tray from
Windows? Oh, wait, we do.

> In general, all of these are 'notifications' in some form of course
> (though arguably that is true of much of the GUI). So in theory could
> be part of knotify, but that would involve knotify becoming a great
> deal cleverer. Losing the ability to embed your own widgets etc. into
> the popup would seem to me to be a major loss which I don't see an
> easy way for an out-of-process notification daemon to support.

 What your own widgets? KNotify doesn't need to get that clever to display a
couple of buttons or something similarly simple and anything more complex
wouldn't be a passive popup anymore.

 Besides, how about people who'd need it to be accessible or who (just like
me) prefer other kind of notification than passive popups? And, after Plasma
comes with some new superhypercool way of presenting notifications, will we
go hunting for all KPassivePopup usage in all apps?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org