is new lib dependency possible for 3.5.2?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sun Jan 29 21:25:21 GMT 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 21:45, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:47 schrieb Andriy Rysin:
> > As to the main critic - the point is that if there's C library which I
> > could use to (greatly) improve xkb configuration parsing for kxkb (we're
> > talking about a dozen of bugs here) and later add new features for free,
> > why would I care that it uses another low-level lib,  which depends only
> > on glibc?
>
> It is not about *some* C-library, it's about *glib*, without which nothing
> of gnome would remotely exist. If we introduce a hard dependency on glib
> (we have too many soft ones already), I can vividly imagine the Ximian
> marketing meisters telling corporate IT deciders, "... it [KDE] is based on
> the same libraries like gnome, but needlessly duplicates functionality.

 You surely must be confusing Glib with Gtk here. Glib is the C equivalent of
C++ STL. So minus the GNOME thingy this all can already happen anyway.

Besides, we wouldn't have a hard dependency on glib, because first of all it'd
be needed only for those people who don't happen to live in US/UK or Finland
(SCNR), and second we'd have a dependency on libxklavier. Okay, libxklavier
might depend on glib, but don't you have at least a bit pity on those poor C
developers?

 If lixklavier brings in glib, then I still fail to see the big deal. If you
want to complain about glib being heavy or something similarly silly, just
have a look at ldd of some KDE app one day. If you want to try something like
"chances of bugs in the lib being fixable by KDE developers without needing
barf bags", then you're already late too, we've always had deps like that
(does somebody know if George jumps when he hears "OpenSSL"? I've never tried
in person). And, if you want to argue because of possible political problems
with our dependencies, then you're definitely very very late.

 Besides, since Andriy wants to replace some already existing code with
libxklavier, I'm quite sure he can add some --disable-glib #ifdef for you so
that you can maintain that while he's busy doing something useful. Problem
solved.

> So it uses up twice the RAM and is twice as slow.

 Yeah, right. Incidentally ... well, soon.

> Why going with the cheap copy when you can have the original?". This
> statement is full of lies, but it's called marketing for a reason.

 Hmm. So we stay away from Glib and people suddenly run out of lies against
us. What a wonderful world do we live in.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org