is new lib dependency possible for 3.5.2?

Andriy Rysin arysin at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 29 18:29:52 GMT 2006

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Sunday 29 January 2006 18:47, Andriy Rysin wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> As to the main critic - the point is that if there's C library which I
>> could use to (greatly) improve xkb configuration parsing for kxkb (we're
>> talking about a dozen of bugs here) and later add new features for free,
>> why would I care that it uses another low-level lib,  which depends only
>> on glibc? By the way libxklavier also depends on libxml2 and libz. So
>> the question is whether this will be a problem, because I would not like
>> to discard the library just because it uses XML parser from libxml
>> arguing we already have it in Qt?
>>

> libxml2 is used by KDE too. (I do not know why people are less "allergic" to
> that one, despite being released on gnome.org servers.) And zlib is used too.
>
> (...)

ok, so if we already have precedents of "duplication" for libxml2 and
libz, hopefully allergy for first "g" letter will not become a
showstopper :)
so I am planning to use "glibless" libxklavier for 3.5.2 unless there's
strong argument against it. I'll try to make old parser be used if
required version libxklavier is not found (at compile time).
As to "glib-bed" version for KDE4, we can talk about it in a month or so
when more active kxkb development will happen in that branch, but
hopefully by that time gained advantages will make arguing against it
pretty hard.

Andriy