which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Maks Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 28 01:06:26 GMT 2006

> Supporting GCC-3.3 means also supporting the "older" C++ ABI.
> It means having to support builds and runtimes that use(d)
> libstdc++.so.5 as well as those that use libstdc++.so.6.

The ABI makes little practical difference for us at the source edge.
Nor for anyone using packages for their distro.  What is more important in
terms of dealing with gcc < 3.4 is that it has a different C++ /parser/,
which may mean some troubles with templates. But it's quite possible that
it's workable --- we don't rely on templates that heavily.