Requiring qt-copy ?

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Jan 27 18:37:40 GMT 2006

[ Thiago Macieira ]
> [ Cornelius Schumacher ]
> Which means every KDE LSB-compliant application or every KDE LSB-compliant
> installable module should contain its own, private copy of kdelibs.
>
> I don't think you can even share it among modules.

Exactly. An application can only be LSB-compliant by staticly linking all
libraries that are not part of LSB.

Installing dynamically shared libraries could otherwise lead to conflicts if
other versions of the same library are already present.

For KDE the LSB Desktop module is currently not too important. We just need to
ensure that it is possible (and easy) to create an LSB-compliant system that
can also run KDE (e.g. not dropping support for the compiler required by the
LSB).

In the long term perspective, we should mainly try to push other libraries
that we depend on into the LSB Desktop module (freedesktop, etc), and
eventually even kdelibs once KDE4 has sufficiently matured.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of