Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Fri Jan 27 08:01:26 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 21:20, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > One thing that KDevelop has going for it is that the Kate guys know how
> > to write a syntax highlighting engine.  It is consistently better than
> > vim's, especially with my kdesvn-build Perl script.  But then, that helps
> > everything that uses KWrite, not just KDevelop.  I'm afraid that pretty
> > soon Kate may really be the KDE developer's preferred graphical IDE, and
> > KWrite will be the simple text editor.
>
> I think at some point Kate developers will stop adding IDE features because
> kate simply become an another IDE then ;)
> But of course I don't know kate developers' plans :)
As you can see in the KDE 3.5 release we backed away from trying to be a IDE
as much as we can, dropped the half-backen project stuff (which caused me
plenty of flames, will need to create a kate-plugin to still work with the
project files) and convert to the more editor like session system.

Beside that KDE 4 will have much better KTextEditor interfaces, allowing
KDevelop to do much better stuff with the part it embeds, same goes for the
kate js-scripting, which will (hopefully, if the bindings are fast enough)
allow indentation scripts, which will bring emacs like good indenation I hope
in the longer term, as writting indent scripts is much easier than hacking
that up in C++ in the editor part itself, like it is done atm.

cu
Christoph