kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Thu Jan 26 20:11:53 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 07:10, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > 2. KDevelop is late in the build and takes forever to compile.
> >
> > Heh. There's not much we can do here ;). We can only make sure
> > it runs as fast as possible after you compile it...
>
> Well, may be provide compile options to disable fortran support or
> something --- if you don't already...
We have them but you'd need to write the long list of --disable-<lang> ;)

> > What are the top 10 features you would like to have?
>
> I guess what would really help is high-level navigation/cross-referencing.
> (SVN makes grepping much more painful, due to all the .svn files)
> I think you have some of that, but it's not easy to get to.
Improvements are on my todo.

> And yeah, being
> able to build/debug/valgrind is important too, but that can be hopefully
> pretty inconspicuous in UI.
We have lots of fixes in the debugger these days. Hopefully KDevelop 3.4
will have the best debugger support ever ;)

> Autocompletion is nice, preferably w/o having to play w bizarre database
> settings.
Yes, code completion database is our weakness.

> And I don't need it to be smart --- I think kate's
> word-completion plugin is close to what's the needed, I just wish it found
> words in other files. (e.g. the headers) [smarter is better, of course, but
> for me it's not a must)
We can have both. In 3.x we have automatic abbreviations (word-completions)
and code completion. Should work in 3.2 together w/o problems.

> > > and the UI is complex, and I am afraid, not very coherent.
> > Yes, simple ui is what I have in mind.
> Great. Though I think what bothered me was not as much the number of things
> (though having dozens of slide out tabs on all borders of the screen is a
> bit too much), but the feel of having lots of little plugins that don't
> really interact.
Ok, I see.