kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Thu Jan 26 20:11:51 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 11:35, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Also there is always my problem of limited hardware, so I
> build only the very basic modules of KDE. Points 1 and 3 above seem to fit
> my feelings too.
Point 1 can be addressed. Point 3 - don't know...

> Probably it is also not much known what KDevelop contains. For example,
> while everybody wanted a Bidi-aware KDE text component, not anybody of the
> KDevelop team has answered: "But we have one"! (We could have "ditched"
> KEdit...)
Ok, bad marketing. I agree.

> The reason why I prefer simple editors is perhaps my personal history. My
> first editor was probably the one of Turbo Pascal (Wordstar-like) (or was
> it MS-DOS' edlin?) and on Unix (probably BSD), my first contact was ed! (vi
> came only later)
Well, KDevelop is also built around the text editor ;) We can embed
any editor you like. And what if we load as fast as editor and have advances
features you can use times-to-times?

> Most of the time what an editor can do, the next editor can do it too. But
> as advanced the features are the less they are in other editors. So
> advanced IDE have features particular to them.
But what if IDE provides you those advances features that you exactly need?
If you tell us what features you expect, we can make you feel home inside an
IDE.