kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Jan 26 09:35:55 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 01:36, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 January 2006 18:44, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 January 2006 00:40, Alexander Dymo wrote:
>
> OK, doing a dual-reply thing, hope I don't get people too confused.
>
> > > I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still
> > > use vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits as
>
> Because those of us using kate are too young to count as core devels? ;-)

In KDE 3.5.x, Kate has become very usable to edit, especially with its
sessions. (I just do not like the new automatic quoting feature when typing
quotes.)

> > > a development tool for them. This is, of course my opinion and I'd
> > > really like to hear from KDE developers what they think is wrong in
> > > KDevelop.
>
> I think from my POV, it's simply that:
> 1. I move around code a lot. Setting up projects, etc., is extra work. And
> just because I got sick of seeing some bug report being filed again and
> again and went to fix the app doesn't mean I'll deal with the app ever
> again. 2. KDevelop is late in the build and takes forever to compile.
> 3. I didn't actually seem to find compelling enough features compared to a
> plain editor, and the UI is complex, and I am afraid, not very coherent.

As for KDevelop, I have never found a reason why to download the source and to
compile it. Also there is always my problem of limited hardware, so I build
only the very basic modules of KDE. Points 1 and 3 above seem to fit my
feelings too.

Probably it is also not much known what KDevelop contains. For example, while
everybody wanted a Bidi-aware KDE text component, not anybody of the KDevelop
team has answered: "But we have one"! (We could have "ditched" KEdit...)

The reason why I prefer simple editors is perhaps my personal history. My
first editor was probably the one of Turbo Pascal (Wordstar-like) (or was it
MS-DOS' edlin?) and on Unix (probably BSD), my first contact was ed! (vi came
only later)

Most of the time what an editor can do, the next editor can do it too. But as
advanced the features are the less they are in other editors. So advanced IDE
have features particular to them.

(...)

Have a nice day!