Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Jan 25 13:56:38 GMT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 14:16 schrieb Thiago Macieira:

> But, to tell you the truth, I barely understand how l10n is working now,
> so I wouldn't even know how translations would go for an eventual post
> 3.5, pre 4.0 release of main-module applications.
See? That's why I love these kind of discussions - everyone has a share if
it's about criticism, but if it's about solving the problems that arise from
suggestions it's getting pretty silent.

So my tactic to stay calm on suggested changes worked pretty well for years
now and I just wait for someone to propose the ideal split :)

You can either have a huge kde-i18n-de or you put all translations everywhere
to the applications as we do with extragear. But my k3b rpm for example
installs 19.3MiB, 9.2Mib of that are translations. So you basically duplicate
the size of applications downloads in going away from kde-i18n.

And before someone speaking only english suggests we split k3b-translations
away from k3b, make yourself aware that this doesn't change anything for 90%
of the users.

But of course leaving this problem to the distributions is always possible.
But make yourself aware that no distribution will ship your KDE 3.6 update,
if it takes 2 full time employees to maintain that version mess.

Greetings, Stephan