which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jan 23 09:10:00 GMT 2006

Michael Pyne wrote:
>On Saturday 21 January 2006 14:08, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> For gcc 3.2, it's easy: can the khtml folk modify the Apple code so
>> that it builds on gcc 3.2? If they can't or are not willing to, or if
>> Apple won't accept the changes back, it's settled: gcc 3.2 is not
>> supported.
>
>Which handles this case, but what about future Apple
> changes/improvements that break 3.2?  Do we let khtml fork again, or
> suck it up now and admit that users with 3.2 will probably have
> troubles compiling kdelibs from time to time unless we have a developer
> assigned to make sure that Apple merges are 3.2-clean?
>
>IMO we should support the oldest version of gcc which produces correct
> code and doesn't take a ton of developer time to ensure is working.

That's pretty much what I said: if it's reasonably easy to fix the code
that currently doesn't compile, we can support it.

If the fixes are difficult, drop the support until someone comes along and
does the fix.

Anyone willing to do the work?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.