which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jan 22 09:28:31 GMT 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:21, Gregory Hayes wrote:
>  I also
> doubt that any serious vendor, FreeBSD or otherwise, is going to
> include < gcc 3.4 when KDE 4 is released.

It was already mentioned, that it doesn't matter if in 2007 all major
distributions (Linux or not) will have gcc 3.4 at least if now and for
the next year there are KDE developers and contributors who don't have
those versions.
What I suggest is that KDE 4 should depend on the lowest version used in
the current highest version of the distributions. So if (example, not
researched):
- FreeBSD 4.0 uses gcc 2.95.x
- FreeBSD 5.0 uses gcc 3.3
- Debian sarge uses gcc 3.4
- Debian whatever uses gcc 4.0
- SuSE 10.0 uses gcc 4.0
- SuSE 10.1 uses gcc 4.1

KDE should support gcc 3.3. Even if there are FreeBSD 4.0 versions
around, there is a supported higher version of that OS. But there is no
FreeBSD with gcc 3.4 or 4.0, so they cannot do anything to get a
version of the OS with that compiler (aside of manually upgrading the
compiler, which many will not do).

Andras