which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Gregory Hayes syncomm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 09:21:06 GMT 2006

> Other non-Linux platforms may have different requirements. I can't speak
> for the NetBSD/OpenBSD/DragonflyBSD/Solaris/AIX/HPUX/... packagers,
> they will have to comment themselves.

See the link I provided to the LSB release notes: "Most of these changes are
to increase compatibility with the POSIX specification" I believe that POSIX
2003 also mandates the Itanium C++ ABI. I believe that other UNIX(-esqu)
distributions will move in that direction as they come into spec. I also
doubt that any serious vendor, FreeBSD or otherwise, is going to include <
gcc 3.4 when KDE 4 is released. We need to draw the line somewhere, and
chosing not to support a compiler that is "known to be broken" makes sense
to me. However, there seem to be people on both sides of this argument and I
doubt it will be solved on the mailing list.

Greg
-