which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sat Jan 21 23:09:13 GMT 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 14:08, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> For gcc 3.2, it's easy: can the khtml folk modify the Apple code so that
> it builds on gcc 3.2? If they can't or are not willing to, or if Apple
> won't accept the changes back, it's settled: gcc 3.2 is not supported.

Which handles this case, but what about future Apple changes/improvements that
break 3.2?  Do we let khtml fork again, or suck it up now and admit that
users with 3.2 will probably have troubles compiling kdelibs from time to
time unless we have a developer assigned to make sure that Apple merges are
3.2-clean?

IMO we should support the oldest version of gcc which produces correct code
and doesn't take a ton of developer time to ensure is working.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne