K-Menu, XDG menus and Kiosk woes

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Fri Jan 20 12:20:05 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 22:03 schrieb Jakob Petsovits:
> I guess that means they can't show the same menu entry in different menus
> depending on the desktop environment, just to turn it on or off. That means
> for different categories, two different .desktop file for both KDE and
> GNOME would be needed, the one hidden in GNOME, the other one in KDE.

Yes, both would feature the OnlyShowIn tag for opposite desktops. As a
distribution you'd keep those desktop-files in a KIOSK profile anyways. It's
not even necessary to ask the upstream author for different desktop files as
those are tailored for the KIOSK profile for the respective distribution and
their needs (Most distributions maintain their own desktop files anyways due
to bloomy looooooong entries and translations like "Kiten - Referenz und
Studienprogramm für die Erlernung des Japanischen"). So while this might be a
burden for the packager to create these it would still be a solution that
would be spec compatible.
If the packagers think that it would be more convenient to change the spec
(and it seems that a group of them did it in agreement) then they shouldn't
do it in their own privacy without letting the rest of KDE and their users
know.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

        Torsten Rahn

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich, Germany

http://www.credativ.com  - The Creative IT-Consultants
        Debian * PostgreSQL * Groupware * KDE