Fwd: Re: Turning off screensavers [xarafaxz at nxxx: KMplayer feature request]

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jan 12 15:50:16 GMT 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:04, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Jeudi 12 Janvier 2006 14:40, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  what would be the right place for this in trunk (this =  a function that
> > apps like movie players could use to turn screensaving on/off)? I'll
> > probably add it to 3.5.1 too, there I can simply dump it to KApplication,
> > but I don't know where to put it for KDE4. Note that this is not
> > workspace stuff.
>
> The application can use dcop dirrectly
> i think the dcop call to
> kdesktop KScreensaverIface setEnabled true/false
> will do what mplayer need.
>
> I used similar things in Kopete to connect to the dcop signal in order to
> go away when screen is locked.
>
> But this only work in KDE environment.

 Yes, and that's why I want it in kdelibs, so that if things change in any
way, one doesn't have to fix a dozen different copy&paste versions all over
KDE. Moreover, the forwarded mail has the part saying it explicitly already
snipped, but this is about DPMS saving primarily. Simply put, I don't see why
apps should mess with DCOP calls or whatever, they should just do
'enableScreensaving( false )' or whatever you call it and be done with it.
Which also means kdelibs/interfaces is not where it should go.

 The plan is to get rid of KApplication. What does that plan say in section
"and things from it should be moved to" ?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org