debug libs (Re: KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules)

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Tue Feb 28 20:42:30 GMT 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Qt does that on X11 too. This is especially nice for
> the -debug-and-release mode.

Which can also be accomplished by doing seperate builds into different
object directories.

> If you want to build two separate libraries, you need two different names.
>
> *However*, does anyone want to build KDE *twice*? It already takes too
> long to build KDE once (even on a 20-node cluster of Pentium IV 3 GHz)
>
> So I don't think we should build libkdecore_debug.so.4.2.0.

I advise against it as well. It hurts flexibility at runtime (as David
pointed out) and makes 3rd party software development harder (build system
has to be extended to check for two different namings). I can give first
hand evidence that the change in Qt 4 was nothing but an annoyance for our
company (an ISV).

Harri.